The village of Angeghakot is situated high atop a plateau above the left bank of the Vorotan River 9-10 km northwest of the city of Sisian. In 1979, the village registered a population of 1717.
In the past, the old village was located directly on the riverbank below. The period of its establishment is not actually known but according to objects found in an archaeological site (tombs, etc.) the village site dates back to the Neolithic and Bronze Agees.
During the medieval period, Angeghakot was one of the administrative and cultural centers of the Siunik province. In the 15th century, it was mentioned as being a small town. In the two following centuries, Angeghakot was already a seat for local princes and a prospering town. The ruling family of the town was the Melik-Tanguians, who were one of the four ruling families of Kapan, which had taken part in the liberation struggle of the Armenian people. A secret meeting of 11 princes was organized in Angeghakot by Prince Safraz and Israel Ori, famous players in the struggle for freedom, where a plea was drafted to be sent to the Pope in Rome, and the Emperors of Austria and Russia asking assistance in the liberation of Eastern Armenian from Persian occupation. As a result of this meeting a decision was made to send Ori and Rev. Father Minas Tigraniants to Europe to negotiate the terms of assistance. At the end of the 18th century and beginning of the 19th century, the power of the princes lessened to the point were they had disappeared from the political arena altogether.
Because of its important location at the crossroads of the major routes of Siunik, the village was constantly under the attack of foreign oppressors and from 1710-1720 its Armenian population was forcefully emptied. Only after the annexation of Eastern Armenia to the Russian Empire in 1828-1829 was the village repopulated with Armenians from Khoy and Salmast. By 1897, the village had a population of 1849.
During the 1930′s a portion of population moved out to establish the new villages of Sarnakounk, Spandarian and Borisovka nearby.
Apart from the archaeological monuments mentioned above, a few historically and architecturally important structures remain in the village and its surrounding areas. Noteworthy are the churches of St. Stephen (1708), the Holy Mother of God (beginning of 18th c.) and the “Vartan Zoravar” pilgrimage site where the church is carved into a cliff, with numerous cross stones (khachkars), a cemetery, a water mill and other structures.
It is believed that Angeghakot is Israel Ori’s hometown.