Located on the banks of the Arpa River, Areni is a village in the Yeghegnadzor region. This village is one of the oldest and most famous villages in the Siunik province. The Church of the Holy Mother of God, located on the eastern edge of the village, is a rectangular half-domed structure with sacristies on two sides.
According to inscriptions, it was designed and built by the architect and sculptor Momik in 1321. The dome, which had collapsed, was renovated in 1996. It has eight windows and two entrances. The image of the Madonna and Child is sculpted in the center of the relief carvings on the church facade. The images of the four Evangelists in the forms of man, lion, angel and bull are sculpted under each eave. The ruins of Prince Tarsayich Tomb are located near the church.