Brnakot is a village located on the left bank of the Vorotan River 6 km southwest of the city of Sisian. In 1979, the village had a population of 1931 of which a large portion was native and the rest were émigrés from Karabagh.
In the past the village belonged to the Tsghouk province of Siunik. It was registered as one of the villages that paid levy to the Tatev Monastery in the 13th century. The Melik-Tanguian family of Angeghakot had a seat here in the 18th century.
Important monuments in the village include the Church of the Holy Mother of God and St. Gregory’s Church (1704) of which the latter housed a mausoleum of princes. The surrounding area is scattered with remains of old villages such as Kio, Tsghkavan, Karaïr, and Khacher. Famous natives of Brnakot include Nicholas of Adonts, Archbishop Nerses Melik-Tanguian and professors M. Adonts and Y. Sarksian.